Fascial Stretch Therapy™ (FST)
Fascial Stretch Therapy (FST) is assisted stretching technique that is performed by a Certified Fascial Stretch Therapist with the client on a treatment table, or on the floor. FST focuses on not just muscles, but the fascia, the connective tissue that surrounds everything throughout our body, bones, muscle, joints, nerves, organs, ligaments, etc. When FST is performed on a treatment table, comfortable straps are used to stabilize the limb, or part of the body that is not being worked on, thus facilitating complete relaxation of the person being stretched and enhancing the effectiveness of the actions of the therapist. The technique uses a modified proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF) technique.
Traction is used to assess the range of motion in the tissue before the stretching begins, and is also applied gently throughout the stretching. Traction is the instrumental component of FST that gets the joint capsule open by decompressing the joint, and eliminates the “jamming” of the joint while stretching. This creates optimal mobility of the joint capsule and dramatically helps the effectiveness of range of motion increases and flexibility gains. This specific type of manual traction releases adhesions in the joint capsules and other connective tissues.
Some of the top, most elite professional athletes and teams in the world have regularly utilized Fascial Stretch Therapy as a major component of their training routines in order to help increase their level of performance, and keep them pain and injury free.
Chris Frederick, Co-Director of the Stretch to Win Institute, gives a basic explanation of one of the main concepts of Fascial Stretch Therapy.
- Reduce and prevent the risk of injury, especially sprains and strains
- Releases chemicals, known as endorphins that act as a natural pain suppressant
- Improve/increase circulation, flexibility and range of motion
- Reduce or eliminate back problems and pain
- Optimize the learning, practice and performance of many types of skilled movements
- Promote development of body awareness, and increase balance and symmetry in the body
- Enhance your physical fitness, performance and help reach your fitness goals
- Reduce muscular soreness and tension
- Improve posture and muscle function, which allows your body to move more freely
- FST can enhance your quality of life!
For your Fascial Stretch Therapy Session, please wear athletic or comfortable clothing that you can move in easily. Shorts, Yoga Pants, T-shirt, Tank Top, etc.
Fascial Stretch Therapy can get covered under your physical therapy benefits in some plans. Casey and Matt are both Level 3 Certified Fascial Stretch Therapists, only a few are certified at this level in the entire state of Oregon.
Plans we have had success getting coverage with are Providence, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, Aetna and MODA Health.
Of course it depends on your physical therapy benefits if you have coverage.
(Rates listed on scheduling page)
Schedule FST Session!